Paroxetine use in pregnancy and cardiovascular defects

Détails

ID Serval
serval:BIB_F047D070935A
Type
Actes de conférence (partie): contribution originale à la littérature scientifique, publiée à l'occasion de conférences scientifiques, dans un ouvrage de compte-rendu (proceedings), ou dans l'édition spéciale d'un journal reconnu (conference proceedings).
Sous-type
Abstract (résumé de présentation): article court qui reprend les éléments essentiels présentés à l'occasion d'une conférence scientifique dans un poster ou lors d'une intervention orale.
Collection
Publications
Titre
Paroxetine use in pregnancy and cardiovascular defects
Titre de la conférence
23rd International Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology and Therapeutic Risk Management (ICPE)
Auteur(s)
Einarson A., Pistelli A., DeSantis M., Chambers C., Malm H., Paulus W., Panchaud A., Kennedy D., Einarson T., Koren G.
Adresse
Quebec City, Canada, August 19-22, 2007
ISBN
1053-8569
Statut éditorial
Publié
Date de publication
2007
Peer-reviewed
Oui
Volume
16
Série
Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety
Pages
S130
Langue
anglais
Résumé
Background: Paroxetine (Paxil,) is an SSRI, used for thetreatment of depression, obsessive compulsive disorder,anxiety disorders and premenstrual dysphoria. Untilrecently, no studies had associated SSRIs as a group withan increased risk for major malformations above the 1%-3% baseline rate. However, in the past year, several studiesnoted specifically, an increase risk of cardiovascular defectsassociated with paroxetine, compared to other antidepressantswithin its class.Objectives: To determine whether paroxetine increases therisk of cardiovascular defects in infants of women exposedduring the first trimester of pregnancy.Methods: We collected prospectively ascertained cases ofinfants from Teratogen Information Services throughout theworld, exposed to paroxetine in the first trimester of pregnancyand compared them to a non-exposed Motheriskcohort.We also contacted the authors of data base studies thathad been published on antidepressants as a class, to determinehow many of these women had been exposed to paroxetineand the rates of cardiovascular defects in their infants.Results: We were able to ascertain the outcomes of 1177infants from 9 services. The rate of heart defects in the paroxetineparoxetinegroup was 0.8% versus 0.7% non-exposed group.The combined rate in the data base studies was 1.5%.Conclusions: Paroxetine does not appear to be associated withan increase risk for cardiovascular defects following use inpregnancy, as the incidence in more than 3000 infants was wellwithin the population incidence of approximately 1%.
Web of science
Création de la notice
21/06/2010 16:37
Dernière modification de la notice
03/03/2018 22:36
Données d'usage