Article: article from journal or magazin.
Valve replacement in octogenarians: increased early mortality but good long-term result
European Heart Journal
Journal Article --- Old month value: Apr
Between January 1983 and December 1990, 20 patients aged 80 years or older underwent valvular surgery. The patients' ages varied from 80 to 87 years (mean, 82 +/- 1.5 years). The indication for operation was aortic stenosis in 19 patients, and mitral insufficiency after previous mitral valve replacement with a bioprosthesis in one. There were 15 elective, two urgent, and three emergency operations. Four of these patients had aortic valve replacement plus coronary artery bypass grafting. Six patients (30%) had an uneventful hospital stay, and the other 14 (70%) experienced several post-operative complications. The operative mortality rate was 15% (three patients). All patients before operation were in NYHA (New York Heart Association) class III and IV and all survivors remained in NYHA class I or II. The survivors have been followed from 6 to 70 months (mean 20 +/- 8 months). The actuarial survival rate at 1 and 5 years was 78.5% and 67%, respectively. Valvular replacement in octogenarians can be performed, despite the high rate of post-operative complications, with increased but acceptable mortality. Long-term results are good.
Aged Aged, 80 and over Aortic Valve/*surgery *Bioprosthesis *Coronary Artery Bypass Coronary Disease/*surgery Female Follow-Up Studies *Heart Valve Prosthesis Hemodynamics/physiology Humans Male Mitral Valve/*surgery Postoperative Complications/*mortality Prosthesis Design Survival Rate
Web of science
Last modification date