Clinical significance of Candida isolated from peritoneum in surgical patients

Détails

ID Serval
serval:BIB_CB76B6FF87E2
Type
Article: article d'un périodique ou d'un magazine.
Collection
Publications
Titre
Clinical significance of Candida isolated from peritoneum in surgical patients
Périodique
Lancet
Auteur(s)
Calandra  T., Bille  J., Schneider  R., Mosimann  F., Francioli  P.
ISSN
0140-6736 (Print)
Statut éditorial
Publié
Date de publication
12/1989
Volume
2
Numéro
8677
Pages
1437-40
Notes
Journal Article --- Old month value: Dec 16
Résumé
Over a 2-year period, all surgical patients from whom Candida was isolated from intra-abdominal specimens were evaluated. All but 1 of the 49 evaluable patients had either a spontaneous perforation (57%) or a surgical opening of the gastrointestinal tract (41%). Candida caused infection in 19 patients (39%), of whom 7 had an intra-abdominal abscess and 12 peritonitis. In the other 30 patients (61%), there were no signs of infection and specific surgical or medical treatment was not required. Candida was more likely to cause infection when isolated in patients having surgery for acute pancreatitis than in those with either gastrointestinal perforations or other surgical conditions. The development of a clinical infection was significantly associated with a high initial or increasing amount of Candida in the semiquantitative culture. Surgery alone failed in 16 of 19 patients (84%), of whom 7 died and 9 recovered after combined antifungal and surgical treatment. The overall mortality and the mortality related to infections were significantly higher in the patients with intraabdominal candidal infections than in those without such infections.
Mots-clé
Abscess/*etiology/microbiology/mortality/therapy Acute Disease Adolescent Adult Aged Aged, 80 and over Amphotericin B/therapeutic use Candida/*isolation & purification *Candidiasis/mortality/therapy Child Child, Preschool Combined Modality Therapy Drainage Female Humans Infant Intestinal Perforation/*surgery Male Middle Aged Pancreatitis/*surgery Peritoneum/*microbiology Peritonitis/*etiology/microbiology/mortality/therapy Postoperative Complications/*etiology/microbiology/mortality/therapy Prospective Studies Retrospective Studies Time Factors
Pubmed
Web of science
Création de la notice
25/01/2008 18:08
Dernière modification de la notice
03/03/2018 21:26
Données d'usage