Article: article from journal or magazin.
Plasma protein loss during surgery: Beneficial effects of albumin substitution
Plasma protein loss during abdominal surgery is a known phenomenon, but its possible pathophysiological relevance has remained unknown. The present study evaluates the effects of albumin substitution on systemic and local hemodynamics and cellular interactions in the mesenteric microcirculation, Rats underwent median laparotomy and exteriorization of an ileal loop for intravital microscopy of the mesenteric microcirculation. Plasma protein concentrations, systemic and local hemodynamics were recorded during the follow up period, with or without albumin substitution. Depending on the time course of plasma protein loss in control experiments, 80% of the calculated protein loss was infused during the first 2 h of surgery, and the other 20% over the following 5 h of intravital microscopy. The control group received a continuous infusion of normal saline. Plasma protein loss was mainly due to loss of albumin. A significant increase in adherent and rolling leukocyles was observed during the course of mesenteric exteriorization, which was almost entirely reversed by albumin replacement. Albumin substitution led to stabilisation of mean arterial pressure and abdominal blood flow and also attenuated reductions in arterial base excess. Albumin infusions to replace plasma protein loss may be a simple and effective measure to attenuate microcirculatory disturbances and may be of benefit in patients undergoing abdominal surgery.
leukocyte-endothelial interaction, mesentery microcirculation, physiological stability, intravital microscopy, acid-base disorders, RESPIRATORY-DISTRESS-SYNDROME, INTRAABDOMINAL INFECTIONS, CARDIOPULMONARY BYPASS, INFLAMMATORY RESPONSE, HEMORRHAGIC-SHOCK, ABDOMINAL-SURGERY, RATS, EXTRAVASATION, ISCHEMIA, TISSUES
Web of science
Last modification date