Photodynamic therapy of superficial basal cell carcinomas using topical 5-aminolevulinic acid in a nanocolloid lotion

Détails

ID Serval
serval:BIB_7B2E72F69C36
Type
Article: article d'un périodique ou d'un magazine.
Collection
Publications
Titre
Photodynamic therapy of superficial basal cell carcinomas using topical 5-aminolevulinic acid in a nanocolloid lotion
Périodique
Dermatology
Auteur(s)
Hurlimann  A. F., Hanggi  G., Panizzon  R. G.
ISSN
1018-8665 (Print)
Statut éditorial
Publié
Date de publication
1998
Volume
197
Numéro
3
Pages
248-54
Notes
Clinical Trial
Clinical Trial, Phase II
Journal Article
Résumé
BACKGROUND: Photodynamic therapy (PDT) of superficial basal cell carcinomas using endogenous protoporphyrin IX generated by topically applied 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA) is an innovative and clinically encouraging approach. OBJECTIVE: This paper reports on the first results of an ongoing clinical study on photodynamic therapy of 55 basal cell carcinomas in 19 patients. METHODS: Because of the chemical instability of 5-ALA, a novel nanocolloid lotion was developed. This formulation was applied to the lesions under occlusive dressing 6 h before irradiation with visible light from an unfiltered halogen lamp. Light-induced fluorescence was used to ascertain the superficial extension of the tumors. The response to the therapy was assessed by visual inspection and in 13 patients also by biopsies. RESULTS: After a single treatment, 47 (85%) basal cell carcinomas showed a complete response at a follow-up time of at least 6 months. For the remaining 8 (15%) lesions, a partial response was observed, indicated by a marked reduction of the tumor size. The treatment modality without local anesthetics was well tolerated by all patients, with only slight discomfort during light irradiation. CONCLUSION: Our results indicate that 5-ALA-PDT with our novel formulation, a nanocolloid lotion, is a highly effective and convenient therapy for the treatment of superficial basal cell carcinomas. Its use in the treatment of nodular tumors needs further investigations.
Mots-clé
Administration, Topical Adult Aged Aged, 80 and over Aminolevulinic Acid/administration & dosage/*therapeutic use Biopsy Carcinoma, Basal Cell/*drug therapy/pathology Emulsions Female Humans Male Middle Aged Neoplasm Recurrence, Local *Photochemotherapy Photosensitizing Agents/administration & dosage/*therapeutic use Skin/drug effects/pathology Skin Neoplasms/*drug therapy/pathology Treatment Outcome
Pubmed
Web of science
Création de la notice
25/01/2008 17:54
Dernière modification de la notice
03/03/2018 18:35
Données d'usage