Article: article from journal or magazin.
Operative results of "repair" of ventricular septal rupture after acute myocardial infraction.
American Journal of Cardiology
Fifty-four consecutive patients with postinfarction ventricular septal defect were reviewed. The rupture was closed with a patch and the left ventricle remodeled in all patients. Coronary artery bypass surgery was performed in 28 patients (52%). Fourteen patients (26%) died after operation and 19 during follow-up (mean 42 months). Cumulative survival (including operative deaths) was 78%, 65%, and 40% at 1, 5, and 10 years, respectively. A short interval between septal rupture and operation was a risk factor for early mortality (p = 0.03). Treated associated coronary artery disease had no effect. A residual septal shunt, detected in 10 patients (18%), warranted reoperation in 7 and contributed to 2 early and 1 late death. The location and morphology of the septal rupture were not associated with increased risk of residual shunt. Thus, patch closure of the ventricular septal rupture, remodeling of the left ventricle to improve stroke volume and reduce wall stress, and selective myocardial revascularization provided acceptable results.
Web of science
Last modification date